Business Premises Security in the UK During the UK’s 3rd Lockdown Discussed by Elite Fire & Security
We have now entered our 3rd lockdown in the UK due to the Coronavirus Pandemic and sadly many more business owners are having to close their doors to both customers and their staff. If you haven’t had to close completely you may have had to significantly reduce the number of staff you have working within your business due to COVID guidelines, or you may have seen a reduction in activity so have been forced to furlough staff members. Even a reduction in staff within your business often creates security risks for your property and stock and its a good idea to think about your Businesses Security measures.
So what are the things you should think about to ensure your business, property and employees remain safe and secure for different types of crimes?
Look around the inside and outside of your property and try and think in the same mindset as someone who may be looking to break in as well as your property’s level of security.
Are there any windows or doors which you think would be easy to get into? Can you add additional locks or bars to make them more secure?
Where are the dark areas around your property? Areas without security lighting will be the locations that thieves will target as they can break into your property without being noticed. Dark areas can be fitted with security sensor lights which will come on when any movement is detected and these are a huge deterrent for thieves.
Intruder Alarm Security
Intruders are more likely to target a property with no security systems or if they have old and outdated systems rather than taking the risk of breaking into a property with an intruder alarm fitted. Intruder alarm sensors can be fitted to doors and windows so when your alarm system is on the alarm will sound if the doors or windows are opened at any time.
An alarm sounding with startle thieves and criminals and often they will leave your property quickly and before they are able to steal what they broke in for.
You can have sensors within your property that are set off by movement so if you have areas you really need to protect or areas of particular risk then these are invaluable. If you have two floors to your property then sensors fitted internally downstairs are extremely useful and as long as they cover all entry and exit points then you won’t need these to be fitted upstairs as well.
Integrated and monitored intruder alarms can be connected directly to the police so if the alarm is triggered your designated person and the police will be notified. These systems have to be compliant with Police requirements to make them eligible and the response systems can only be installed by approved security companies like Elite Fire & Security.
Check with your insurance company as often the cost of a monitored alarm system can be offset by a reduction in your insurance premium. If there isn’t any discount for this then shop around with other insurance companies to check their premiums and policies when it comes to your business security systems.
Access Control Business Security
Access control systems can be fitted to entry and exit points of a property as well as to gates and barriers, both of which control who enters and exits your property and site.
An access control system gives you flexibility over who enters and exits your property or site and they can be used on multiple entre and exits points as one system. There are different types of access control systems and they all work slightly differently, every property and, or business is different so you should always use a professional security business like Elite Fire & Security who will come out and assess your property and business needs and recommend the best system for you.
The different types of access control systems include:
- Keypad Entry Access Control Systems – has a numeric keypad that you need to know the numeric code to enter or exit
- Key Fob Entry Access Control Systems – anyone who has authorised access uses a wireless key fob which opens and closes the entry point
- Card Entry Access Control Systems – anyone who has authorised access has a keycard which has a security token which allows entry end exit through an access point or door. A keycard reader is installed on the door and it opens and closes by the card being swiped or tapped against the reader
- Fingerprint Entry Access Control Systems – only allows entry or exit if the fingerprint and retina identity has been authorised. They are more secure as the code key fob or card cannot be passed on to anyone who is not allowed access
- Retina Entry Access Control Systems – as above
- RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) Entry Access Control Systems – an RFID control reader sends out radio waves of a specific frequency and when the card is within range it allows entry and exit
The different Access control systems all have the same purpose which allows or denies entry or exit at specific points but they all work in different ways so the one you choose will be designed to suit your business and premises.
CCTV allows you to view what is happening at your business or commercial premises in real-time or view historical footage 24-7. CCTV security cameras are known to deter thieves as the footage can be used to identify them.
CCTV or closed-circuit television uses a fixed camera or multiple cameras which are located at different points of your property or site. They record inside or outside footage and some cameras rotate when they detect movement whereby others will be in fixed and in one position.
Your first decision will be to decide if you need internal or external cameras or both which all depends on your business needs and premises. A good question to ask yourself is what are you trying to protect (property, belongings or both) and this will help you with your decision.
Elite Fire & Security will come out to your property and assess your needs and your premises to advise you which security system will suit you best. They will design, supply and install your security system and maintain it for you so you have peace of mind that your business and property is secure 24-7.
Gates & Barrier Business Security
Gates and Barriers are a really beneficial way to increase your business security, property and site and which one you have depends on the number of people and vehicles that enter your site every day.
Gates and Barriers can be designed and made to suit your needs whether it’s for privacy, security or if you need them automated so you are able to control access as well as offer ease of access to anyone who has the authority to enter without the need for a 24-hour security guard..
Commercial gates come in a vast range of styles, sizes, colours and materials and can be designed to suit your needs as well as the aesthetics of your site or property.
Commercial Barriers are used more for high traffic sites where you want to control who can access. It may be that staff members have tags or card readers that automatically open and close them when they come in and, or you have someone manually monitoring them who allows entry and exit. Barriers can be used as turnstile type systems or vehicle access systems to suit your business.
Elite Fire & Security will come out to your property and assess your needs to advise you which is the best system for you.
About Elite Fire & Security
When it comes to securing your business or property there isn’t a “one size fits all” system. Elite Fire & Security are industry specialists and experts and we ensure you always receive a high level of service and a bespoke designed security system which suits your property and needs.
We work with you to understand your business or properties security needs and advise you of the benefits and disadvantages of each system available. Our design service enables us to link different security systems and we offer a no-obligation quote which includes the supply, installation and maintenance.
Our Security Services
- We visit your premises to learn about your business and will perform a full risk assessment as there is no standard business security. We conduct an assessment of major risks based on the threats your business could encounter including entry points and perimeters. This ensures we design and install a system that will protect your business to its optimum capability
- We can liaise with your insurance provider, architect, facilities manager or building contractors before providing you with an assessment report, recommendations and a free no-obligation quote
- Our on-site visit assesses your current security systems, building layout and access points before we design any security system for you
- We offer options and advice for a diverse range of makes and models for different levels of security and explain the benefits and disadvantages of each one
- We explain the costs of installing and any ongoing maintenance costs or alert systems
- We can provide you with information about the businesses we have worked with previously and the types of systems we have installed in Bristol, Bath, the South West and London
- The installation of your new system will be carried out by our fully trained and specialist engineers who will install and test your new security system
- We provide you and your team with full training and an understanding of your new security system
- We offer maintenance and servicing options which will keep your system operating efficiently as well as an emergency repair service giving you peace of mind 365 days a year, 24 hours a day
In line with the latest Government guidance, we are working as normal and we are able to carry out our work safely at a distance of 2-metres.
We are prioritising appointments as follows:
- Businesses with Fire or Security Systems which if not REPAIRED will impact on insurance coverage or vulnerability of the building
- Businesses with Fire or Security Systems which if not SERVICED will impact on insurance coverage or vulnerability of the building
- Businesses who are taking the opportunity whilst the building is unoccupied to have their Fire or Security Features & Systems repaired or serviced